Grab Supports Development of Student Community in Universities Through GrabVarsity
- GrabVarsity to provide students with a more affordable, safer and convenient transport option while nurturing life skills
Grab, Malaysia and Southeast Asia’s leading e-hailing transportation and mobile payments platform, today announced the launch of ‘GrabVarsity’, a tertiary student engagement programme.
Designed for students from institutions of higher learning, GrabVarsity is a first-of-its-kind programme in Malaysia that addresses the transportation needs of students, and looks at providing lifestyle benefits and rewards for the student community. It does this while also offering opportunities for them to glean real-life work experience.
Present to launch the programme was YB. Dato’ Seri Haji Idris bin Jusoh, Minister of Higher Education, and YBhg. Dato’ Professor Dr. Awang Bulgiba Awang Mahmud, Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic and International) from Universiti Malaya, who represented the Vice-Chancellor for Universiti Malaya; together with Country Head, Grab Malaysia, Sean Goh, and Head of Business Development, Grab Malaysia, Tan Jiong Jian.
At the launch of GrabVarsity, YB. Dato’ Seri Haji Idris bin Jusoh, Minister of Higher Education, said, “For our young ones to survive and succeed in this fast changing global economy, it is imperative for them to develop time and financial management, and entrepreneurship skills. Therefore, the Ministry is always supportive of initiatives from corporate companies that enable students to not only gain a degree, but also gain real-life experience that can help them carve a better future. We hope that there will be more world class businesses such as home-grown Grab, who will take up this challenge and impact students in a very real and tangible manner.”
Sean Goh, Country Head of Grab Malaysia said “We at Grab, are acutely aware of the role we play not just in moving the nation forward in transport and payments, but also in developing the country’s young minds. Learning and innovation is central to Grab’s culture and we are always on the lookout for initiatives that allows us to solve local problems whilst giving back to our community. With GrabVarsity we are helping to create an ecosystem that goes beyond ride hailing benefits as we help bring meaningful long-term impact to tertiary students via economic opportunities to compliment their passion for learning.”
Goh went on to share that GrabVarsity, which is accessible by the student community via the portal GrabVarsity.com, comprises of four pillars:
- GrabVarsity Rewards: A university student-based reward programme with exclusive, curated benefits that are more relevant and interesting to them. These rewards include offerings from Shopee Malaysia, iflix, Photobook Worldwide, Honor, Digi and Pizza Hut.
- Transport Partner: Grab is also trying to ease traffic congestion within and around the university by establishing designated pick-up and drop-off areas whilst providing exclusive promo codes for events such as convocations, sports day, or festivals.
- Hands-on Learning Opportunities: Students can apply for apprenticeship placements at Grab Malaysia and have the opportunity to work and learn from the best in developing their professional skills for the future.
- Bridging Income Opportunities: Students can participate in a special short-term, student-only Grab driver programme to earn supplemental income to help cover their education fees or student loans.
“As one of the region’s leading educational institutions, we have always been among the forerunners in developing the next generation of Malaysian thinkers. A creative, safe and accessible learning space is critical for our students, faculty and staff, and GrabVarsity is definitely a catalyst for further growth of the university, our students, and the country as our alumni take their place in the world.” said, YBhg. Dato’ Ir. Abdul Rahim Hashim, Vice Chancellor of University of Malaya, who was represented by YBhg. Dato’ Professor Dr. Awang Bulgiba Awang Mahmud, Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic and International).
Currently, GrabVarsity is available in Universiti Malaya (UM), Universiti Sains Islam Malaysia (USIM) and University Malaysia Perlis (UNIMAP). Grab appreciates the opportunity given by these first mover universities, and is working towards taking this student-centric programme to as many universities as possible in the coming months.
Media InquiriesContact the Grab media team
Follow us on Grab social channels
Grab StoriesExplore the ideas and people that define Grab
Engineering StoriesLearn more about our technology development
Grab Beta Launches GrabRewards to Make Rides Even More Rewarding
Southeast Asia’s first regional passenger loyalty programme for ride-hailing beta launched across all region
GRAB LAUNCHES GRABCHAT, SOUTHEAST ASIA’S FIRST OF ITS KIND IN-APP MESSAGING PLATFORM
In-app messaging platform specifically designed to improve Grab’s passenger ride experience for a quicker pickup while maintaining safety for drivers