Grab Now Provides the Widest Rides Network in Malaysia with its Expansion into Four New Cities
Residents and travelers to Langkawi, Kota Bahru, Kuala Terengganu and Miri can now access Grab services
Petaling Jaya, April 20 2017 — Southeast Asia’s leading ride hailing and multiservice platform, Grab, continues its rapid expansion by adding four major cities to its fold – Langkawi, Kota Bharu, Kuala Terengganu and Miri. With this expansion, Grab’s ride services are now available in 13 cities in Malaysia, and establishes the company with the widest rides network in Malaysia.
“As a homegrown, this gives us the added benefit of understanding local nuances and consumer needs, therefore we are able to cater to different needs based on the various demographic needs while factoring the current transport network and infrastructure,” said Country Head of Grab Malaysia, Sean Goh.
Grab is extending its GrabCar service to Kota Bahru, Kuala Terengganu, and Miri, while Langkawi is piloting Malaysia’s first JustGrab feature to tap on the vibrant and established local network of taxi drivers. JustGrab combines the GrabTaxi and GrabCar services in one icon (JustGrab) to create a bigger supply of on-demand transport on the island with an upfront fixed fare.
Goh added, “So, imagine if you are at the Langkawi International Airport, tourist and visitors to the ever-bustling island can book a ride conveniently with minimal waiting time, based on the nearest vehicle to them, and not have to worry about price haggling.”
By pooling together resources to solve mobility issues specific to each country and city, brings greater ride efficiency and affordability of transportation. The JustGrab service in Langkawi leverages on the strength of the local taxi drivers and their knowledge of hidden gems on the island and allowing GrabCar to provide a more variable supply of cars and drivers.
Job Opportunities and Additional Income
The government’s continuous efforts to review regulations is a very encouraging and progressive move in embracing technology not only to improve transport services in Malaysia but also mooting digital economy services like GrabCar as possible job opportunity.
Therefore, Grab has various types of incentives and bonus structures for both full and part-time driver-partners so that they can still earn a decent income regardless of their driving patterns.
Attributing Grab’s success not just in Malaysia, but in the region, to its extensive 780,000 driver-partners, Goh shared that they are constantly iterating the reward schemes and are constantly exploring avenues and partnerships to help alleviate their daily cost of driving.
For example, Grab and PETRONAS recently introduced the Kad Mesra Grab exclusively for top performing drivers in Klang Valley (and soon in other cities) whereby driver-partners can enjoy savings on fuel, lubricants and in-store promotions in all Kedai Mesra nationwide.
For those who are interested to be drivers, can log on to my.grabcar.com/signup for more details.
Commitment to Improving Safety and the Ride Experience
The GrabCar and JustGrab service in the new cities will continue to leverage on the same safety and newly introduced features that Grab is known for:
- Stringent background checks: Drivers are required to go through stringent background checks and also training with a strict code of conduct to comply with.
- Customer service and emergency hotline: Both passengers and drivers can contact the 24-7 customer hotline and exclusively for drivers, the PDRM button connects them to the nearest police department in case of emergencies.
- Share-My-Ride: Passengers can share their ride with their friends and family so they can keep track of their journey in real-time.
- Insurance Coverage: Both passengers and drivers are covered by a Group Accident Insurance that allows claims person up to USD10K per person from the Great American Insurance Company.
- Dual Payment Option: Customers can opt to pay via cash or use GrabPay for cashless payments, therefore expanding their convenience without having to fumble for cash or wait for change
- GrabChat: An in-app chat feature that allows both drivers and passengers to communicate efficiently for free without having to leave the app.
- GrabRewards: Passengers can earn points and exchange it for exclusive discounts and promotions, so in essence, the more they ride, the more rewards they get.
Celebrate with JOMGRAB
To celebrate the expansion to the new cities and Grab’s growing dominance in the ride hailing service, Grab has introduced the exclusive JOMGRAB* promotion in the new cities which allows passengers to book a GrabCar / JustGrab ride to enjoy RM5 off 10 rides regardless if they opt to pay either via cash or credit/debit card.
So whether you wish to relax and unwind at Cenang Beach in Langkawi or savour the scrumptious keropok lekor at the famous Kak Pah Keropok Lekor in Losong; unleash your adventurous side by exploring the expansive cave systems at the Mulu Caves or just want to marvel at the fine architectural mix of dignified mosques and old royal buildings in Kota Bharu before heading to Pulau Perhentian, Grab has got you covered anywhere any time with the JOMGRAB promotion!
To start using Grab, passengers can:
- Go to either the Google Playstore or Apple Appstore and download the Grab App.
- Register your debit**/credit card as a payment option in GrabPay for greater convenience.
- Key-in the respective pick-up and drop-off locations and also promo code.
- Click Book.
For more details about Grab and the JOMGRAB promotion, please click http://grb.to/jomgrab.
* Terms and conditions apply.
** If you are using a debit card, please do not forget to call your bank to authorise your transaction!
= END =
Media InquiriesContact the Grab media team
Follow us on Grab social channels
Grab StoriesExplore the ideas and people that define Grab
Engineering StoriesLearn more about our technology development
Grab Beta Launches GrabRewards to Make Rides Even More Rewarding
Southeast Asia’s first regional passenger loyalty programme for ride-hailing beta launched across all region
GRAB LAUNCHES GRABCHAT, SOUTHEAST ASIA’S FIRST OF ITS KIND IN-APP MESSAGING PLATFORM
In-app messaging platform specifically designed to improve Grab’s passenger ride experience for a quicker pickup while maintaining safety for drivers