Grab expands on-demand gifting capability beyond local borders to over 100 Southeast Asian cities
Grab users can now send gifts on-demand to their loved ones in Indonesia, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore and Thailand with the platform’s new cross-border gifting capabilities.
- Users can now send vouchers and gifts to loved ones in over 100 Southeast Asian cities, on-demand
- Introduces a revamped GrabGifts interface and brand new 100+ Cities Delivery (BETA) in one hour feature for consumers to explore different gifting options within the app
- New gifting experience is available to users in over 100 Southeast Asian cities
Singapore, 7 December 2021 – Grab users can now send gifts on-demand to their loved ones in Indonesia, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore and Thailand with the platform’s new cross-border gifting capabilities. The enhanced gifting experience is powered by two new features:
- a revamped GrabGifts interface which allows users to send GrabGifts vouchers to loved ones in other Southeast Asian cities
- a new 100+ Cities Delivery (BETA) feature which enables them to order and send food and physical gifts from GrabFood and GrabMart merchant-partners that are available in the recipient’s city within an hour
The new tech innovations extend the impact of Grab’s on-demand gifting capabilities beyond local borders so that consumers can now connect with their loved ones overseas despite travel restrictions. A survey amongst Grab users in Southeast Asia revealed that more than 60% of respondents indicated an intention to send gifts on-demand to their loved ones in other cities. This is in line with the current trend of consumers increasingly relying on on-demand services to show care to their loved ones amid imposed movement restrictions due to the pandemic. In the last two years, Grab has observed more instances of its users purchasing GrabGifts vouchers for each other, sending care packages via GrabExpress and ordering meals and gifts for their loved ones via the Grab app.
“It has been heartwarming to see how consumers have tapped on our platform to overcome movement restrictions imposed by the pandemic. While it began with them mostly purchasing food and essential items for themselves, it later grew into a powerful vehicle for building and maintaining connections between loved ones. But with many countries yet to fully open their borders, we wanted to do more. We are so excited to now be able to bridge even longer distances between loved ones. We hope this will bring a festive cheer to all our users in Southeast Asia,” Cheryl Goh, Chief Marketing Officer, Grab.
The new cross-border gifting experience will meet a range of preferences amongst consumers, whether it’s giving loved ones the flexibility to choose their own gift with GrabGifts vouchers or surprising them with their favourite brand, meal or gift item.
Send loved ones overseas practical and personalised GrabGifts vouchers
Grab users can look forward to sending virtual GrabGifts vouchers to their family and friends within or outside their place of residence across five markets in Southeast Asia. The voucher categories span Grab’s Food, Mart, Express and Transport services.
As part of the new interface, users will have the flexibility to send their recipients up to three voucher options to choose from. They will also be able to select from a range of designs and add in a personalised message. More details on the new experience and how to use it can be found here.
Order a festive feast and a whole variety of treats for loved ones overseas
Consumers can now choose from a plethora of festive meal options on GrabFood for their loved ones living in Southeast Asia, including Christmas classics with a Southeast Asian twist like Leche Flan, Ayam Kodok and stuffed turkey.
Alternatively, GrabMart has a diverse range of festive favourites available such as chocolates and wine and even popular gift items for children such as toys and board games. Learn how to use the feature below.
How to get started:
Example: Ordering for a loved one in Malaysia
 Check in-app for eligible cities
– END –
Media InquiriesContact the Grab media team
Follow us on Grab social channels
Grab StoriesExplore the ideas and people that define Grab
Engineering StoriesLearn more about our technology development
Grab Announces Didi Chuxing and SoftBank As Lead Investors for Current Round of Financing
- Strategic investment of a combined US$2.0 billion by Didi Chuxing and SoftBank deepens partnership with Grab
- Grab expects to raise US$2.5 billion in total in current financing round
- New financing to support Grab’s efforts in strengthening its dominant market position in on-demand transportation and payments in Southeast Asia
Grab Celebrates Fifth Anniversary and Significant User Milestones
- 3x growth in last year to 45 million downloads, and up to 2.5 million daily rides
- Has provided higher incomes for nearly 1 million drivers and reduced travel time in half across Southeast Asia since founding
- Adds GrabNow, New Service to Digitise Street Hailing