Grab the Most Affordable Car Ride with New GrabCar Fares
- GrabCar rides to start at $4.00 from 18 April onwards
- Part of a larger Grab drivers’ initiative to increase GrabCar drivers’ net incomes with revised fares and programmes to reduce operating costs
Singapore, 18 April 2016 – Grab is revising its fare structure to offer the most affordable ride to GrabCar passengers. The best part? It is here to stay. Starting at 11.00am today, passengers can travel with GrabCar from as low as $4.00. Grab is also announcing new benefits for GrabCar drivers, including fuel discounts, subsidised smartphones and a new Passenger Finder tech feature to help drivers find passengers who are immediately looking for a ride.
“We take pricing of fares seriously and take a long-term approach to it. With our new fare structure, Grab offers the most competitive on-demand transport service for private cars in Singapore, providing cheaper fares and a higher quality service to our passengers. A top priority is our driver partners and we expect this fare revision to attract even more GrabCar passengers. This is part of a larger, holistic drivers’ programme to increase their net incomes in a sustainable way. We are taking a multi-prong approach to help our drivers take home more pay – by reducing their costs, providing attractive rebates and improving driver-passenger matching via the Grab app,” said Lim Kell Jay, Country Head, Grab Singapore.
With the new fare structure, the lowest fare for GrabCar passengers is now $4.00, reduced from $8.00. The base fare will be reduced from $3.50 to $3.00 and per kilometre charges from $0.90 to $0.80. The fare revision means passengers get to enjoy even cheaper rides with no hidden costs. Fares are promised upfront based on the distance of the journey and dynamic pricing based on real-time demand and supply – with no per-minute or time-based charges. In other words, you will only pay for what you have agreed to on the booking screen. Stuck in a traffic jam for hours? Your fare remains just the same.
GrabCar drivers’ programme – save big, earn big
As part of Grab’s commitment to increase incomes for drivers in a sustainable way, Grab is also announcing new driver initiatives across three key pillars:
Reducing operating costs
- Fuel discount programme: According to a survey by Grab, only one in four GrabCar drivers is able to access fuel discounts of above 15 percent, typically provided by credit card companies. Grab has made it possible for selected drivers to enjoy competitive fuel discounts.
- Subsidised smartphones: Drivers get to enjoy subsidised mobile phone purchases at $150.
- Up to 5x more insurance coverage amounting to US$250,000 (~SG$339,000) based on industry estimates: Grab provides a free and comprehensive Personal Accident Insurance coverage, on top of the required commercial motor insurance. In addition to receiving additional insurance at no additional costs, GrabCar drivers and passengers will have increased insurance payouts. All passengers and drivers in the vehicle will receive up to US$250,000 (~SG$184,000) per vehicle in coverage for death, accidental dismemberment and bodily injuries.
Increasing number of bookings for drivers
- Less idle time, more earnings: Grab’s Passenger Finder feature for drivers is a first-of-its-kind technological innovation to improve demand and supply matching. Based on both real-time and historical demand data, if the Grab app, for example, anticipates that there will be 10 passengers in a specific hotspot, 10 select drivers will be alerted to head to that hotspot. This means drivers who get our notice will have the highest chances of getting a booking. All drivers will also receive SMS alerts to notify them of the various high-demand areas. The result? More accurate matching of drivers to passengers, more and faster bookings, and less idle time.
Increasing rebates and incentives
- Attractive rebates and incentives: GrabCar drivers are entitled to competitive rebates; those that commit to providing the highest service levels such as having high passenger ratings and taking a target number of bookings will enjoy rebates and incentives that can potentially offset commissions. This means every dollar of every fare will belong to the driver. This also serves to encourage GrabCar drivers to put forth the best service standards and encourage highest quality drivers on the road.
To find out more about the new fare structure, visit: https://www.grab.com/sg/car/
Media InquiriesContact the Grab media team
Follow us on Grab social channels
Grab StoriesExplore the ideas and people that define Grab
Engineering StoriesLearn more about our technology development
Grab Announces Didi Chuxing and SoftBank As Lead Investors for Current Round of Financing
- Strategic investment of a combined US$2.0 billion by Didi Chuxing and SoftBank deepens partnership with Grab
- Grab expects to raise US$2.5 billion in total in current financing round
- New financing to support Grab’s efforts in strengthening its dominant market position in on-demand transportation and payments in Southeast Asia
Grab Celebrates Fifth Anniversary and Significant User Milestones
- 3x growth in last year to 45 million downloads, and up to 2.5 million daily rides
- Has provided higher incomes for nearly 1 million drivers and reduced travel time in half across Southeast Asia since founding
- Adds GrabNow, New Service to Digitise Street Hailing