Grab Provides Free Personal Accident Insurance for Passengers and Drivers
- Industry-first and largest comprehensive personal accident insurance coverage in Southeast Asia’s ride-hailing industry
- GrabCar and GrabBike drivers and passengers covered for free, with no deductibles
Singapore, 3 March 2016 – Grab, Southeast Asia’s leading ride-hailing platform, today announced free group Personal Accident Insurance (PAI) coverage for GrabCar and GrabBike passengers and drivers across the region. This is a first-of-its-kind insurance policy in the industry to be provided by a ride-hailing platform, and is the largest in terms of coverage in Southeast Asia.
Grab considers addressing road safety in Southeast Asia an urgent imperative. According to a road safety report by the World Health Organisation (WHO), road traffic injuries kill approximately 316,000 people each year in Southeast Asia. The region, which comprises 8% of the world population, disproportionately accounts for a quarter of the global total of road traffic deaths.
Benefits to GrabCar and GrabBike passengers and drivers:
- GrabCar and GrabBike passengers and drivers enjoy greater peace of mind when they take rides with Grab. The group PAI makes certain that they are covered against personal accidents, as some commercial insurance purchased individually by the drivers covers only third-party.
- Any unfortunate contingency will be covered from the first dollar; GrabCar and GrabBike passengers and drivers need not pay any deductibles.
- Grab provides this additional insurance coverage at no charge to its users
How Grab Rides Are Covered: Grab Personal Accident Insurance provides an additional layer of free insurance on top of commercial auto insurance, which has differing coverage for drivers and passengers. Insurance coverage for GrabTaxi is subject to taxi fleet company policies.
Grab’s group PAI policy offers coverage in the event of accidental death, permanent dismemberment and bodily injuries in the event of accidents for drivers and passengers. This is the largest coverage with the total personal accident benefits for the driver or passenger being up to US$250,000 per vehicle, or up to an aggregate limit of US$2.5 million per accident in Singapore. Each incident will be evaluated individually by the insurance providers and coverage amount differs across markets.
The Grab group PAI applies to all 28 cities in the six countries that Grab operates in.
Grab sets industry best practices with safety initiatives
To help reduce the number of traffic accidents in Southeast Asia, Grab has also rolled out significant safety initiatives in Singapore and across Southeast Asia. In the Philippines and Indonesia, it has been operating defensive riding courses for GrabBike, and this will soon be rolled out in Thailand. In Singapore, Grab has been working with the Singapore Traffic Police to promote safety awareness, with plans to improve safety education for drivers. In Malaysia, Grab is installing CCTV cameras in the cars of 100 women drivers to ensure on-the-job safety, especially in the event of disputes.
Such local initiatives complement Grab’s existing regional initiatives such as ensuring background screenings and training for drivers, vehicle inspections and in-app safety features such as ‘Share My Ride’.
Grab continues to lead the industry in safety initiatives. Consumer and driver trust in the brand continues to grow, with the Grab app downloaded on more than 12 million mobile devices and over 220,000 vehicles across the region registered in the Grab network.
 World Health Organisation report: Road Safety in the South-East Asia Region 2015
 Terms and conditions apply.
Media InquiriesContact the Grab media team
Follow us on Grab social channels
Grab StoriesExplore the ideas and people that define Grab
Engineering StoriesLearn more about our technology development
Grab Announces Didi Chuxing and SoftBank As Lead Investors for Current Round of Financing
- Strategic investment of a combined US$2.0 billion by Didi Chuxing and SoftBank deepens partnership with Grab
- Grab expects to raise US$2.5 billion in total in current financing round
- New financing to support Grab’s efforts in strengthening its dominant market position in on-demand transportation and payments in Southeast Asia
Grab Celebrates Fifth Anniversary and Significant User Milestones
- 3x growth in last year to 45 million downloads, and up to 2.5 million daily rides
- Has provided higher incomes for nearly 1 million drivers and reduced travel time in half across Southeast Asia since founding
- Adds GrabNow, New Service to Digitise Street Hailing