DON DON DONKI and Grab Sign Regional E-Commerce Partnership
Grab, Southeast Asia’s leading superapp, today announced a regional e-commerce partnership with DON DON DONKI (DONKI), a popular specialty retail mart for affordable Japanese foods and products. The partnership aims to offer consumers a more convenient and rewarding online and in-store shopping experience to cater to new consumer expectations of ultra-fast door-to-door delivery.
- Popular Japanese specialty retailer chooses Grab as its preferred on-demand delivery partner in Southeast Asia
- Partnership supports DON DON DONKI’s regional expansion and seeks to provide more convenient shopping experiences for consumers online and in-store
- First DON DON DONKI store in Malaysia now available on GrabMart
SINGAPORE, 25 March 2021 – Grab, Southeast Asia’s leading superapp, today announced a regional e-commerce partnership with DON DON DONKI (DONKI), a popular specialty retail mart for affordable Japanese foods and products. The partnership aims to offer consumers a more convenient and rewarding online and in-store shopping experience to cater to new consumer expectations of ultra-fast door-to-door delivery.
Grab will serve as DONKI’s preferred on-demand delivery partner in Southeast Asia and offer its cashless payment service across DONKI retail stores. DONKI fans and Grab users can conveniently shop and pay for DONKI products on the Grab app through GrabMart and GrabPay, and enjoy immediate or scheduled delivery straight to their door. As DONKI continues its expansion across the region, both companies plan to collaborate on in-market campaigns to further engage Grab users and retail shoppers.
DON DON DONKI is operated by Pan Pacific International Holdings Group’s overseas subsidiary for Asia Pacific, Pan Pacific Retail Management (PPRM).
“Over the past few years, we strove to bring Japanese products closer to consumers in Southeast Asia by opening up new stores in every corner of the region.” says Satoshi Machida, President of PPRM (Singapore) and PPRM (Malaysia). “As one of the leading e-commerce platforms, this partnership with Grab will allow us to gain a foothold online and reach out to more consumers as a complement to our on-going market expansion.”
“We are super excited to be partnering DON DON DONKI on their Southeast Asia expansion. We know that many Grab users are fans of Japanese products and are going to appreciate DON DON DONKI’s wide range of good-quality, value-for-money Japanese foods, fresh produce and products. We look forward to bringing a piece of Japan and the unique DON DON DONKI experience to more Southeast Asian homes through GrabMart,” said Saad Ahmed, Managing Director, Regional Head of Commercial for Grab.
The Grab x DON DON DONKI partnership aims to provide more delightful shopping experiences for consumers through the following initiatives:
- Shop from home on GrabMart: Consumers in Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand can order their favourite DONKI products on GrabMart for immediate or scheduled delivery. They can look forward to an extensive catalogue featuring up to 900 SKUs, including snacks, ready-to-eat meals, alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages, as well as daily essential items across health, beauty and household segments.
- Convenient cashless payments through GrabPay: DONKI fans in Malaysia can pay for their offline purchases in DONKI retail stores via GrabPay, Grab’s in-app cashless payment service, and receive GrabRewards points for their transactions. GrabRewards points can be redeemed for special discounts on Grab services and at GrabRewards’ partnering stores. Both companies are in discussions to bring GrabPay into more DONKI retail stores in the region.
- Joint marketing programmes for a seamless shopping experience: The two companies also plan to explore initiatives to better engage consumers online and offline. For example, DONKI can tap on Grab’s Merchant Discovery feature, which will enable them to push promotions to Grab users who are nearby to draw them to their stores. This month, Grab and DONKI are launching a joint campaign in Singapore to encourage fans to explore this new GrabMart shopping experience. Using the promo code DONKI upon checkout, consumers will be able to enjoy 30% off plus free delivery with minimum spend on DONKI products on GrabMart.
“Consumers are buying more groceries and essentials online, and this behaviour is unlikely to go away. The Grab platform enables retailers like DON DON DONKI to easily plug into our ecosystem, connect with our large and growing base of online users and provide ultra-fast on-demand delivery to them through our scalable fleet. We are committed to supporting retailers in Southeast Asia build out their digital strategies and reach their business goals through our unique platform tools and services,” added Ahmed.
 Available in Malaysia first