GrabCar launches STAR WARS-themed vehicles
STAR WARS-themed GrabCars will cruise into Kuala Lumpur, Manila, Ho Chi Minh and Bangkok today
December 22, 2015 – Experience the Awakening this December with STAR WARS-themed GrabCars. Starting today, GrabCar users can indulge in their STAR WARS fantasy and travel in comfort and style in custom designed vehicles. They just need to book a ride using the special STAR WARS GrabCar icon in the GrabTaxi mobile app.
One hundred and fifty STAR WARS-themed GrabCars featuring the timeless Imperial Stormtrooper and BB-8, the astromech droid belonging to Resistance Pilot, Poe Dameron, will roam the streets of Kuala Lumpur, Manila, Ho Chi Minh and Bangkok until 30 December as part of GrabCar’s regional marketing campaign in collaboration with Disney Southeast Asia.
Indonesia ups the ante with five hundred specially wrapped taxis and motorcycle taxis in Jakarta, under the GrabTaxi and GrabBike brands. The Philippines will also offer STAR WARS-themed GrabBikes, and will extend their campaign to 14 January 2016. All three brands – GrabCar, GrabTaxi and GrabBike – are available in the same GrabTaxi mobile app.
“This initiative is part of GrabCar’s ongoing efforts to delight passengers and make their journey with GrabCar fun and memorable. Our STAR WARS-themed GrabCars celebrates the release of the new STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS movie, and will make one’s commute more entertaining,” said Cheryl Goh, Group VP of Marketing, GrabTaxi Holdings.
“Die-hard fans shouldn’t miss this opportunity to experience the thrill of our STAR WARS-themed GrabCars. It is a full-on STAR WARS immersion when they book our STAR WARS-themed GrabCars to take them to and from the cinema to catch the movie,” Goh added.
How to book a STAR WARS-themed GrabCar:
- Download the GrabTaxi app via Google Play and App Store. Register your account for free.
- Select the ‘STAR WARS GrabCar’ option as your vehicle type.
- Enter your pick-up and drop-off locations.
- Click Next and await confirmation of your STAR WARS-themed GrabCar.
Win tickets to watch STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS
Users who ride the STAR WARS-themed GrabCars automatically put themselves in the running to win one of 20 pairs of movie tickets to STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS that are being given away daily.
The winners will be chosen at random based on their booking IDs and notified at least two days after their ride.
Win STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS merchandise
Those who miss out can still try their luck to win STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS merchandise in the Snap and Share contest. GrabCar is giving away STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS merchandise daily to a few lucky winners who snap and share the photo of the STAR WARS-themed GrabCars on their social media accounts. Simply use the hashtags #theforceawakens #grabcar and tell us why you deserve to win by filling in the caption ‘I want to win STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS merchandise because…” Contest starts today and ends on 30 December 2015.
Media InquiriesContact the Grab media team
Follow us on Grab social channels
Grab StoriesExplore the ideas and people that define Grab
Engineering StoriesLearn more about our technology development
Grab Announces Didi Chuxing and SoftBank As Lead Investors for Current Round of Financing
- Strategic investment of a combined US$2.0 billion by Didi Chuxing and SoftBank deepens partnership with Grab
- Grab expects to raise US$2.5 billion in total in current financing round
- New financing to support Grab’s efforts in strengthening its dominant market position in on-demand transportation and payments in Southeast Asia
Grab Celebrates Fifth Anniversary and Significant User Milestones
- 3x growth in last year to 45 million downloads, and up to 2.5 million daily rides
- Has provided higher incomes for nearly 1 million drivers and reduced travel time in half across Southeast Asia since founding
- Adds GrabNow, New Service to Digitise Street Hailing