Grab teams up with the Singapore Taxi Academy to help all drivers earn an income as licensed chauffeurs
- Launches ExpressOne to accelerate PDVL processes for drivers, through additional training and coaching sessions
- Offers additional financial support and incentives to assist drivers with PDVL processes
Singapore, 24 January 2018 – Grab, the leading on-demand transportation and mobile payments platform in Southeast Asia, announced a new partnership with the Singapore Taxi Academy (STA), to deliver a variety of benefits to drivers in Singapore.
Together, Grab and STA launched ExpressOne, a new programme designed to provide drivers with all the support they need to obtain their Private Hire Car Driver’s Vocational Licence (PDVL), in order to provide chauffeured private hire car services. By reducing processing time by more than half, drivers can expect to obtain their PDVL more quickly through the following enhancements:
- Additional Training and Testing Facilities: Grab will offer PDVL training sessions and exams at multiple Grab’s premises within Midview City and The Herencia. These additional facilities will cater to the huge pool of drivers who need to complete their PDVL training and exam before 30 June 2018 in order to continue driving. Together, Grab and STA will support close to 400 drivers with PDVL training sessions and exams every day.
- Free Coaching Sessions: Grab and STA will offer extra sessions for drivers who need more guidance, and to ensure they have the competency to take and pass the PDVL exam. Drivers may pick from multiple revision sessions each week.
- Financial Aid and Incentives: Grab will cover all costs relating to the PDVL application and mandatory medical check-up. Through an exclusive PDVL Learning Bonus Scheme, each driver with Approved-To-Drive letter from Land Transport Authority of Singapore will also receive a bonus of up to $300, equating to a reimbursement of their average daily fare, when they pass the PDVL exam.
- English Language and SkillsFuture Support: Grab will sponsor English tests for drivers who need to certify their language skills. With PDVL training claimable from SkillsFuture, Grab will provide support and guidance to help drivers with their claims. For drivers not eligible for SkillsFuture support, Grab will cover their training costs.
Yeo Khay Hwee, 61, GrabCar driver who recently obtained his PDVL through ExpressOne, said, “The entire process from application to examinations took me merely 15 days to complete, thanks to the support provided by Grab, which helped to ease and quicken the procedures. I have heard that it could previously take up to four months to obtain the license. I am also glad that the company recognizes that for drivers time is money, and that they will even be reimbursing me $300. As I didn’t have sufficient credits in my SkillsFuture account, Grab has also paid for the training fees so that I could focus on completing the courses instead of worrying about the administrative fees and processes. I strongly recommend all drivers to make full use of the ExpressOne programme, and obtain their PDVL as soon as they can.”
“The well-being of our drivers is incredibly important to us at Grab, and I’m particularly proud of the raft of benefits our new ExpressOne programme will provide – from financial support and additional tuition to taking care of all the logistics, so our drivers don’t have to. By becoming the STA’s official training and testing partner, we are underlining Grab’s position as Singapore’s number 1 ride-hailing company, committed to developing and strengthening Singapore’s transport system,” said Lim Kell Jay, Head of Grab Singapore.
“A safe and professional chauffeured car service can only be delivered by competent drivers. We believe that is the best way to help Grab drivers in securing a steady income and not just earn enough to pay car rentals,” said Tan How Ing, Centre Director of Singapore Taxi Academy.
Training and tuition sessions for drivers are available for sign-up now online and at Grab@Sin Ming (28 Sin Ming Lane, #01-143, Midview City). For more information about ExpressOne, the benefits and how to sign up, click here: grb.to/expressone
Media InquiriesContact the Grab media team
Follow us on Grab social channels
Grab StoriesExplore the ideas and people that define Grab
Engineering StoriesLearn more about our technology development
Grab Announces Didi Chuxing and SoftBank As Lead Investors for Current Round of Financing
- Strategic investment of a combined US$2.0 billion by Didi Chuxing and SoftBank deepens partnership with Grab
- Grab expects to raise US$2.5 billion in total in current financing round
- New financing to support Grab’s efforts in strengthening its dominant market position in on-demand transportation and payments in Southeast Asia
Grab Celebrates Fifth Anniversary and Significant User Milestones
- 3x growth in last year to 45 million downloads, and up to 2.5 million daily rides
- Has provided higher incomes for nearly 1 million drivers and reduced travel time in half across Southeast Asia since founding
- Adds GrabNow, New Service to Digitise Street Hailing