Grab Provides First Half 2016 Business Update
Singapore, 14 July 2016 – Today, Grab provided the below business update, highlighting tremendous growth of its GrabCar and GrabBike platforms, particularly in Indonesia, in the first half of 2016 since its rebrand in January as a complete full-service ride-hailing platform in Southeast Asia.
- GrabCar and GrabBike in Indonesia each grew >250x since mid-2015 – today, private cars and bikes comprise the vast majority of Grab’s overall business, which also includes taxi-hailing and delivery services.
- Grab’s strong machine learning and data analytics capabilities have fuelled significant growth and have enabled greater efficiency over time. For example, in 2016, GrabBike has grown 300% YTD in Indonesia, while reducing bike subsidies per completed ride by 50%, highlighting Grab’s strong user engagement and stickiness of its multi-service platform. More than 1 in 4 of Grab’s Indonesia monthly active users use more than one Grab service.
- Indonesia has become Grab’s largest market by completed rides across all platforms. Grab has primarily focused on the greater Jakarta market, which is home to more than 30 million people where it offers bikes, private cars and taxi-hailing, and expects to expand the multi-service platform into eight more megacities outside of Jakarta, which have a total population of 38 million. Indonesia is the world’s fourth largest country by population, with more than 250 million people.
Grab offers the widest range of on-demand services in the most markets in Southeast Asia, with more than 17 million app downloads and 320,000 drivers in 30 cities across Singapore, Indonesia, Philippines, Malaysia, Thailand and Vietnam.
 2010 Indonesian Census. Estimated population growth of 1.3% per annum since 2010 based on http://www.worldometers.info/world-population/indonesia-population/.
*Megacities defined as metropolitan cities with more than 2 million in population
Media InquiriesContact the Grab media team
Follow us on Grab social channels
Grab StoriesExplore the ideas and people that define Grab
Engineering StoriesLearn more about our technology development
Grab Announces Didi Chuxing and SoftBank As Lead Investors for Current Round of Financing
- Strategic investment of a combined US$2.0 billion by Didi Chuxing and SoftBank deepens partnership with Grab
- Grab expects to raise US$2.5 billion in total in current financing round
- New financing to support Grab’s efforts in strengthening its dominant market position in on-demand transportation and payments in Southeast Asia
Grab Celebrates Fifth Anniversary and Significant User Milestones
- 3x growth in last year to 45 million downloads, and up to 2.5 million daily rides
- Has provided higher incomes for nearly 1 million drivers and reduced travel time in half across Southeast Asia since founding
- Adds GrabNow, New Service to Digitise Street Hailing