Towards a better peak hour driving experience
We’re making improvements to help you earn more during peak hours
Driving during rush hour can be frustrating, especially in busy areas. Traffic make pick-up and journey times longer. Passengers cancel more often. Even with higher peak fares collected, driver-partners might still end up with lower earnings.
Effective 12PM (noon), 26 November 2018
To help you earn even more in peak hours, Grab will be rolling out FOUR key changes in Klang Valley. These changes will also apply during other hours for better rides overall.
Click the tabs below to find out more.
Click here if you would like to submit any questions or feedback regarding this announcement.
Upfront fares will now be calculated based on system estimated distance and estimated trip time based on past traffic conditions.
In the past, a 10KM trip that takes 20 minutes to complete earns you the same fare as a 10KM trip that takes 40 minutes to complete. With this change, driver-partners driving in peak hours will earn more for their time.
HOW IT WORKS
The revised fare structure for JustGrab and GrabCar in Klang Valley is as below:
Average fares will remain the same. For most trips, you will see the exact same fare as before or just a minor increase or decrease. However, the following types of trips will have more noticeable changes:
- Higher fares during peak hours and in busy areas to reflect longer driving time on the road.
- Lower fares for trips that take faster to complete. These trips are usually longer-distance trips on highways. Nevertheless, your earnings per minute on these trips will remain higher than on shorter trips.
The upfront fare will remain fixed even if traffic is better or heavier than usual. While this is not perfect, it is a significant improvement from today. We will continue to improve on this so that your experience on Grab will keep getting better.
We will be rolling out a new incentive, Time Boosters, to all driver-partners in Klang Valley. This will replace current Far Pick-up Bonus per KM, Hourly Guarantee (HG), Flexi and GrabCar (Premium) incentives.
1. Fairer form of compensation for your driving effort and time
Current HG incentives do not compensate all driver-partners fairly for their driving effort and time. At an Hourly Guarantee of RM32, for example, a driver-partner who earns RM25 in fares (20KM trip) and a driver-partner who earns RM5 in fares (2KM trip) will both get RM32. With Time Boosters, peak hour driver-partners whose earnings are more affected by traffic and far pickups will receive higher bonuses.
2. Instant payout to cash wallet
No more waiting till the end of the day or week to get paid! You will see Time Boosters for each booking, when applicable, on your job card and in-transit screen. The payouts will be made instantly as soon as the ride is completed, along with your fares.
HOW IT WORKS
Time Boosters ensures that you earn a minimum nett earning per driving minute (estimated pick-up minutes + estimated trip minutes) for every completed ride.
Each hour has a Time Booster level – for example RM0.60 per minute. If our system estimates your trip to take longer due to traffic and as a result, your earning per driving minute falls below the Time Booster level, you will receive a bonus to boost your nett earning up to RM0.60 per minute. The minimum earning per minute level is highest in peak hours.
The following diagram shows examples of how this incentive works:
In the past, driver-partners earn RM 19.20 nett fares regardless of total driving time
With Time Boosters, driver-partners will receive a bonus to boost nett earnings up to the guaranteed RM 0.60 per minute
In cases of far pick-ups, driver-partners will receive an even higher bonus to compensate for the longer driving time required. For more information on how to calculate payouts, please refer to FAQ #2.
HOW IT’S SHOWN
Please refer to the job card or in-transit screen for the final payout of each ride. The amount shown is calculated upfront based on system estimated pickup and trip time and is not subject to change during or after the trip. For more information on how to see your Time Booster amounts please refer to FAQ #3.
Time Booster levels will differ by time of day and service type. Please check your in-app notification every Sunday for the schedule of the following week.
Next week’s levels for GrabCar and JustGrab in Klang Valley are as follows:
Update: Starting 29 July 2019, all jobs will be auto-accepted. Therefore, all driver-partners will be eligible for Time Booster.
*To ensure that drive-partners are well compensated during the peak periods, only incentive amounts equal to or above RM1 will be paid out for each eligible ride.
The Time Booster offers for GrabCar Plus, 6-Seater and Premium are higher than GC/JG – for next week’s offers for these service type please refer to FAQ #9.
- The payout shown in job card or in-transit screen is final and not subject to adjustments due to traffic conditions.
- This feature is not applicable for advanced bookings.
- This feature is only applicable for GrabCar, GrabCar (6-Seater), JustGrab GrabCar, GrabCar Plus, GrabCar (Premium).
- This feature is NOT applicable for GrabShare.
We understand that it is frustrating for driver-partners when a passenger doesn’t show up or cancels at the last minute. We have been working on your feedback, and are committed to protect you from this negative experience.
HOW IT WORKS
You will receive compensation when our system has detected that you are on the way to or have arrived at the pick-up location and any of the following scenarios happens:
- “Passenger No Show” when you arrive at pick-up point (after the applicable waiting time) OR
- You have to cancel when you arrive at pick-up point because a GrabShare booking has “Too many passengers or luggage” OR
- Late cancellation by passenger (more than 5 minutes from time of booking)
“Passenger No Show” and “Too many passengers or luggage” (for GrabShare rides) cancellation reasons will also not impact your Driver Cancellation Rate.
The compensation amounts are as follows and will be paid out to your cash wallet after every cancelled booking. Please do not collect from passengers.
- This feature is not applicable for advanced bookings.
- Back-to-back jobs are not eligible for late cancels compensation.
- This feature is applicable for ALL driver-partners.
- We will not compensate those who did not make any real effort to go to the pick-up location. We will also take strict action against attempts to unfairly exploit this compensation, so that we can continue to uphold this feature for the large majority of our driver-partner community who are genuine.
- For the same reason, cancellation compensation will be removed for any driver-partner who has been detected abusing the cancellation reasons (e.g. to avoid impact to CR), or making passengers cancel.
In the past, you could only pick up a maximum of 2 bookings at the same time. To further improve your earnings on GrabShare, especially during peak hours when there are more jobs, we will be allowing more than 2 matches for each GrabShare ride (depending on your vehicle capacity).
Please remember to follow the pick-up and drop-off sequence at the top of the app.
Additionally, to ensure that you would earn a similar amount to a GrabCar or JustGrab job (fare + Time Booster) whether it is a matched ride or not, we will also be introducing a new GrabShare incentive which can be seen in the table below:
In the app this will appear as two separate incentive schemes:
- Unmatched cashback for all hours (5%)
- MP + UP cashback for unmatched (25%) and matched jobs (20%)
So for the unmatched jobs during MP + UP, scheme 1 and 2 would combine and effectively be the 25% cashback as seen on the table.
1. What are the incentives and compensations I will be eligible for starting 26 November?
HG, Flexi and new driver-partners will be automatically enrolled for all of the above. There will no longer be Hourly Guarantee and Flexi cashback incentives.
Update: Starting 29 July 2019 in phases, all jobs will be auto-accepted.
2. How is Time Booster calculated?
Time Booster Bonus = (guaranteed minimum earning per minute x total estimated minutes driven) – nett fare
Time Boosters will be calculated upfront based on system estimated driving time (pick- up minutes + trip minutes). Grab does not take commissions from Time Boosters.
3. Where will I see the Time Booster Bonus amount?
You will be able to see the amount of the Time Booster Bonus for each ride on its job card and in the in-transit screen (for AA rides).
In your Job History & Partner Statement, Time Booster Bonus amounts will appear as “Bonus”. It will be paid together with your fares into your cash wallet immediately after the job is completed.
4. The pick-up for my booking was far away. Why is the Time Booster Bonus low?
Time Booster Bonus is calculated based on system estimated trip time and the trip’s nett fare. The higher the trip’s fare per minute, the lower the Time Booster Bonus amount as you are already well compensated for the trip. If the fare per minute is higher than the booster amount, you won’t receive a booster payout.
The estimated trip time will be calculated upfront based on past traffic conditions. This might be different from your actual driving minute (based on Waze/ Google) because of unexpected traffic or a different proposed route from our system navigation.
While this is not perfect, we believe that it is a significant improvement from before. As we improve our navigation to take into account more real-time traffic, this will improve the accuracy of our Time Booster bonus.
5. Why I didn’t receive the Time Booster Bonus?
If you didn’t receive a booster payout for some of your bookings, it’s because those bookings were not eligible for it as those bookings’ fare per minute is higher than the booster amount.
However, do let us know if you qualified for the booster but did not receive it after checking your job history and the weekly Partner Statement.
Please write in via Help Centre, by clicking here.
6. What are the new fare structures for GrabCar Plus, GrabCar (6-seater) and GrabCar (Premium)?
7. Will the Time Booster Bonus and Cancellation Compensation still be applicable if I drive in another city using the Multi-city Support feature?
Yes, but the guaranteed minimum amount per minute and compensation amount will follow the city you’re driving in.
As we are rolling out these features out by city, please note that if you do a multi-city job, these features may not be available in certain cities until 3 December 2018.
8. Why did I not receive the Cancellation Compensation when my passenger cancelled late?
If we detect that you did not make any effort to go to the pick-up location, you will not be compensated. However, do let us know if you are qualified for the compensation but did not receive compensation after checking your job history and the weekly Partner Statement.
Click here to write in via Help Centre.
9. What are the Time Booster offers for the other service types?
Update: Starting 29 July 2019 in phases, all jobs will be auto-accepted. Therefore, all driver-partners will be eligible for Time Booster.