Grab Myanmar Shares 2018 Milestones and Plans to Bring More Positive Impact in 2019
Grab, Southeast Asia’s leading Offline-to-Online (O2O) platform had an amazing 2018 in Myanmar, with new service launches (GrabShare and GrabThoneBane), expansion of services in new cities (Mandalay and Bagan), the much talked-about acquisition of Uber and new in-app updates to improve user experience and passenger safety. In addition, Grab introduced numerous initiatives in 2018 to improve the lives of driver-partners and their families including the Better365 programme comprising Grab Bursaries, Driver Benefits, safe driving workshops and free vehicle inspections.
Yangon, Myanmar, 24 January 2019 – Grab, Southeast Asia’s leading Offline-to-Online (O2O) platform had an amazing 2018 in Myanmar, with new service launches (GrabShare and GrabThoneBane), expansion of services in new cities (Mandalay and Bagan), the much talked-about acquisition of Uber and new in-app updates to improve user experience and passenger safety. In addition, Grab introduced numerous initiatives in 2018 to improve the lives of driver-partners and their families including the Better365 programme comprising Grab Bursaries, Driver Benefits, safe driving workshops and free vehicle inspections.
Grab’s milestones of 2018 in Myanmar would not have been possible without the support of its growing base of driver-partners who strive to offer the best service, as well as the passengers who count on Grab’s services to bring ease and convenience to their daily lives.
Here are some of Grab Myanmar’s highlights of 2018 in numbers: (Please refer to infographic attached separately for more details)
Growth in usage of Grab’s services:
- 300% increase in daily bookings in 2018 compared to 2017
- 300% increase in daily rides in 2018 in Yangon alone
- >93 million kilometres travelled via Grab rides in Yangon in 2018
- 85% of all rides rated by passengers in 2018 were rated 5-stars
Grab brought more comfortable rides:
- >32,000 Points of Interest in Yangon, Mandalay and Bagan added to the Grab app
Grab improved the livelihoods of its driver-partners:
- >2 times growth of the driver-partner base in Yangon in 2018
- More driver earnings with 220% increase in completed rides in 2018 compared to 2017
- 100% of drivers brought into the financial system with CB Bank accounts
Growth in usage of GrabRewards:
- More than one million GrabRewards redemptions in 2018
- 152% growth in GrabRewards redemptions in Q4 2018 compared to Q1 2018
- Most popular GrabRewards partners – Telenor, Pizza Hut, Shop.com.mm, JCGV
While Grab has taken strides in Myanmar since its launch in Yangon in 2017, the company believes its journey is only beginning. Grab is ramping up for an exciting 2019 with plans to continue bringing positive impact to communities across Myanmar in 2019. Grab will continue to educate the public about digital technology so that more consumers can enjoy safer, higher-quality and more rewarding travel in Myanmar.
Said Alvin Loh, Acting Country Manager, Grab Myanmar, “As Grab’s business has grown in Myanmar over the past two years, we are glad to have actively contributed to solving transportation challenges in key cities of Myanmar as well as to have brought positive impact to various communities. We will continue to innovate and evolve our offerings to create a more efficient transport network and improve the experiences of our driver partners and passengers. Our passionate Grab Myanmar team, comprising local talents who know the local problems inside-out, will be the driving force for us to maintain our leadership position in the ridehailing sector in 2019 and the years to come.”
With a focus to improve the experiences of all passengers and driver-partners, Grab will be launching new in-app features aimed at addressing safety, privacy, trip feedback and passenger goodwill to driver-partners.
Driver Safety Toolkit for peace of mind on-the-job:
- In the Grab Driver app, a Driver Safety Toolkit will be added to allow driver-partners to share their Live Location via a link directly to emergency contacts, or from third party apps
- Driver-partners can also use this feature to alert police quickly in event of an emergency
Number Masking to keep the phone numbers of drivers and passengers private:
- This feature protects the privacy of the user’s phone number
Detailed Trip Ratings for passengers to specify exactly what made for a great trip experience
- Ratings can be given up to 72-hours post-trip.
- The driver’s personal information will be masked after 72 hours
- The improved post-trip rating ensures a fairer and better user experience
Driver Tipping to enable passengers to tip drivers for their satisfactory services (only for cashless rides)
- Allows passengers to give their driver a reward, beyond the 5-star rating
- Driver-partners will be able to see the tip alongside the trip fare
- Tips will be added to the driver-partner’s cash wallet
Grab will also focus on expanding its new ridehailing services in 2019:
- GrabShuttle bus services to offer safe and affordable rides to offices and universities
- GrabCall service for easy bookings of taxi rides via call centre agents
- Grab Web Booking service for hotels and offices to book Grab rides efficiently through an online portal
- Rent for car bookings with a dedicated driver in Mandalay. Fares will be charged by the hour, with tour packages and one-way trips to Pyin Oo Lwin, Sagaing and Innwa also available
Grab will share updates about the new in-app features and services to be launched in the coming months, along with its continuous ‘Better Everyday’ community programmes and ‘Safer Everyday’ initiatives such as road safety workshops for driver-partners.
Media InquiriesContact the Grab media team
Follow us on Grab social channels
Grab StoriesExplore the ideas and people that define Grab
Engineering StoriesLearn more about our technology development
Enhanced GrabRewards Offers Simplified Earning of Points, Fun Challenges and Greater Selection of Benefits
● Largest loyalty programme in Southeast Asia gamified to further engage users ● GrabRewards points will not expire as long as a Grab service is completed every 3 months ● New range of attractive products and services now available for redemption ● Exclusive discounts and high-value prizes as part of GrabRewards Wednesdays
Grab Honours its Top Driver-Partners in Safety and Performance
Appreciation event held in Yangon for 900 Grab driver-partners to recognise their commitment towards delivering high standards of service
Grab Partners with Leading Insurance Provider, Myanma Insurance, to Provide Personal Accident Coverage for Driver-Partners and Passengers
Grab, Southeast Asia's leading Offline-to-Online (O2O) platform, has partnered with Myanma Insurance, Myanmar’s leading insurance provider, for its group Personal Accident Insurance (PAI) scheme which covers driver-partners and passengers in the case of an unfortunate accident during a GrabTaxi, GrabThoneBane or GrabBike ride.