Grab Officially Expands GrabCar and GrabTaxi services to Quang Ninh
Quang Ninh, 23 August 2017 — Grab, the leading on-demand transportation and mobile payments platform in Southeast Asia, today officially expands its GrabCar and GrabTaxi services to Quang Ninh province. The expansion is in line with Grab’s key mission to make transportation more accessible for everyone, and is a testament to Grab’s commitment to fulfilling the nation’s growing need for on-demand door-to-door rides, and to improving the lives of all Vietnamese. With this expansion, Grab’s ride-hailing services are now available in 4 cities in Vietnam, establishing Grab’s leadership as the widest ride-hailing network in the country.
Speaking at the launch event, a representative from Quang Ninh Department of Transportation, said: “Following the government direction and the Ministry of Transportation’s Decision No. 24/QĐ-BGTVT to pilot the application of science and technology in managing and connecting contract-based passenger transportation, Quang Ninh Department of Transportation has reviewed the feasibility of Grab Vietnam’s pilot project. Jointly with Quang Ninh People’s Committee, we officially approve Grab Vietnam’s pilot of GrabCar and GrabTaxi in the province. We believe that with its experience in ride-hailing services in South East Asia, and in some big cities in Vietnam, Grab Vietnam will fulfill all requirements of the pilot scheme and bring about more transportation options for local commuters and tourists.”
Mr. Jerry Lim, Grab Vietnam’s Country Head, said: “We would like to thank Quang Ninh People’s Committee and Department of Transportation for allowing us to pilot GrabCar and GrabTaxi services in the province. Working hand-in-hand with the government has always been the hallmark of Grab’s business. We are happy that we share a common goal with the Quang Ninh government to use technology to improve the daily commute of people. With their strong support, we will continue to innovate and provide the platform for our driver-partners to earn sustainable incomes, and our passengers to enjoy safe, affordable and convenient transportation services.”
Grab takes a hyperlocal multi-modal approach to transportation, offering transportation choices and price points that cater to the different preferences of commuters and their varied travel patterns. “We will keep looking into different modes of transport, as long as it makes commuting faster and cheaper for passengers. Now, whether you wish to relax on Bai Chay beach or explore Sun World Ha Long Complex or just want to marvel at unique architecture and valuable artifacts at Quang Ninh museum and library, you will just need to book a Grab ride to travel from point-to-point conveniently with minimal waiting time and an upfront fixed fare,” added Jerry Lim.
Commitment to Improving Safety and Ride Experience
Passengers using GrabCar and GrabTaxi services in Quang Ninh will continue to benefit from the safety, payments and chat features that Grab is known for:
- Driver authentication: Drivers are required to go through stringent background checks and training, and comply with a strict code of conduct.
- Customer service and emergency hotline: Both passengers and drivers can contact the 24/7 customer hotline for any enquires. In the event of emergency, passengers will be able to tap the Emergency/S.O.S button within the app, connecting them directly to the police to seek immediate help.
- Share-My-Ride: Passengers can share their ride with their friends and family so that they can keep track of their journey in real-time.
- Insurance Coverage: Both passengers and drivers are covered by a Group Accident Insurancethat allows up to VND 100 million claims per person from the Great American Insurance Company.
- Dual Payment Option: Customers can opt to pay via cash or use GrabPay for cashless payments. They no longer need to fumble for cash nor wait for change.
- Fixed Fare Rides: Passengers are aware of their trip fare upfront on the booking screen and need not worry about inflated pricing especially when travelling through traffic jams.
- GrabChat: An in-app chat feature that allows both drivers and passengers to communicate efficiently for free without having to leave the app. To protect the privacy of the passenger, the chatroom and conversation history will be erased once the journey is completed.
Grab is also committed to building the tech and engineering talent pool in Vietnam with a new Research and Development (R&D) center in Ho Chi Minh City. These engineers will use their local expertise to provide localized solutions that tailor to the needs of Vietnamese commuters and drivers, enhancing their overall user experience.
Today, Grab operates the largest transportation network in Southeast Asia and is one of the most frequently used mobile platforms in the region with nearly 3 million daily rides. The Grab app has been downloaded onto over 55 million mobile devices, giving passengers access to the region’s largest land transportation fleet comprising over 1.2 million drivers. Grab offers private car, motorbike, taxi, and carpooling services across 7 countries and 87 cities in Southeast Asia, with 1 out of every 3 passengers using multiple services. Grab is also working on bringing cashless to everyone in Southeast Asia, providing access for the underserved and unbanked population in the region. GrabPay Credits, a cashless top-up payments option, has grown more than 80% month-on-month since its launch in December 2016, a testament to consumer trust in Grab’s mobile payments platform.
Grab recently announced that Didi Chuxing, the world’s leading one-stop mobile transportation platform, and SoftBank Group Corp., a global technology leader driving the Information Revolution, will invest up to US$2.0 billion to lead Grab’s latest financing round. Grab anticipates that it will raise an additional US$500 million, bringing the total to US$2.5 billion in this round from existing and new investors. This is the largest single financing in the history of Southeast Asia.
Celebrate with promo code HALONG*
To celebrate the expansion of Grab’s services to Quang Ninh, Grab has introduced the exclusive HALONG promotion in the new city. Beginning from August 23 to September 30, 2017, passengers can book GrabCar and GrabTaxi rides with the promo code HALONG to enjoy VND 40.000 off their first ride in Quang Ninh.
To start using Grab, passengers can:
- Go to either the Google Playstore or Apple Appstore and download the Grab App.
- Register your debit/credit card as a payment option in GrabPay for greater convenience.
- Key in the respective pick-up and drop-off locations and also promo code.
- Click Book.
* terms & conditions apply