Grab Bags Ride-hailing Industry’s First ISO Certification
Grab, the leading ride-hailing platform in Southeast Asia, has been awarded the ISO 9001:2015 certification, becoming the first company in the worldwide ride-hailing industry to be recognized for its strong internal governance and quality management standards. Grab continues to set […]
Grab, the leading ride-hailing platform in Southeast Asia, has been awarded the ISO 9001:2015 certification, becoming the first company in the worldwide ride-hailing industry to be recognized for its strong internal governance and quality management standards. Grab continues to set best-in-class standards for the nascent ride-hailing industry, with operational processes that are as or more stringent than traditional taxi and public transport operators.
To receive the certification, Grab went through a rigorous process and satisfied a demanding list of requirements set by the International Organisation for Standardisation (ISO). Applicable across all six markets that Grab operates in – Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam – the certification validates Grab’s quality management systems, such as the handling of passenger inquiries, driver screening and onboarding processes, internal governance, as well as products and service offerings.
“Disruptive services like ride-hailing have been transformative for Southeast Asian cities, creating more jobs and providing safer transport options. Grab services are viewed as a long-term solution to improve public transport in Southeast Asia. I’m proud that Grab is setting the best practice processes, while new guidelines are being established for the relatively new ride-hailing industry. The ISO 9001:2015 certification affirms that Grab is the most trusted transport partner for governments, businesses and consumers,” said Anthony Tan, Group CEO and Co-founder of Grab.
Meanwhile, Grab Philippine’s Country Head, Brian Cu said the recent ISO recognition is aligned with recent plans from the government to implement government-mandated exams for professional drivers. “We support the government for taking an active role in pushing for better transportation for Filipinos through mandatory qualifying examinations for drivers. This government-mandated exam to vet drivers will fit in easily with the rest of Grab’s framework, which basically aims to provide safe and reliable transportation for all,” Cu shared.
Brian shared that as part of Grab’s Standard Operating Procedures, all interested drivers undergo rigorous safety trainings and exams prior to being accepted as Grab drivers. These exams include tests on the company’s code of conduct, traffic regulations and customer service principles. Mandatory annual refresher courses and seminars are given to existing Grab drivers to ensure sustained learning and upskilling, for the continuous improvement of both their livelihoods and the passengers’ experience.
Grab sets best practice processes in service, safety and driver screening for nascent ride-hailing industry
With the ISO 9001:2015 certification, Grab’s passengers, driver-partners and stakeholders can expect:
- Ensuring Quality Drivers: Grab’s driver-partner monitoring process has always been rigorous. With ISO requirements, passengers can have even more assurance that only quality drivers are retained on Grab’s platform. The screening, monitoring and actions taken on the code of conduct for driver-partners will also be kept fair and just, systematic and consistent for all. Safety incidents will also be reported on a regional level and investigated with root cause analysis and corrective actions.
- More Avenues for Feedback: Passengers and drivers have always been able to provide feedback via a range of channels be it in-app or through Grab’s customer service hotline and local support centres. With ISO certification, Grab has introduced a Customer Satisfaction Survey for corporate customers.
- Maintaining High and Consistent Service Standards: Grab has all core business processes documented and standard operating procedures registered in accordance with ISO’s guidelines. This ensures the consistency of our operations across all services, be it taxis, cars, bike or delivery.
- Stronger Privacy Protocols: With ISO 9001:2015 certification, the ISO certification body has approved and will continue to audit Grab’s handling of personal information of passengers and driver-partners. This provides an added guarantee that the privacy of all passengers and driver-partners is protected at all times.
- Greater transparency and improved traceability: Companies certified by ISO 9001:2015 are required to document any changes to operational processes on a shared portal and with proper version controls. This ensures transparency, traceability, and knowledge sharing, making work processes more systematic and efficient.
- Pushing the Boundaries of Road Safety in Thailand: While backseat seatbelts are not mandatory in Thailand but recommended by the assessment body, Grab Thailand raised the bar by making backseat passenger seatbelt a mandatory feature in new vehicles. Passengers can now enjoy safer travel and greater peace of mind when riding in a Grab vehicle.
The ISO 9001:2015 certification is the latest version of the world’s leading quality management standard and helps businesses and organizations work more efficiently and improve customer satisfaction. Grab was awarded the ISO 9001:2015 certification following a comprehensive audit of the company’s internal processes by Lloyd’s Register Quality Assurance.
Media InquiriesContact the Grab media team
Follow us on Grab social channels
Grab StoriesExplore the ideas and people that define Grab
Engineering StoriesLearn more about our technology development
Grab Beta Launches GrabRewards to Make Rides Even More Rewarding
Grab today unveiled GrabRewards, Southeast Asia’s first regional loyalty programme for ride-hailing passengers, capping off a successful year for Southeast […]
Grab Launches In-app Instant Messaging Service GrabChat for Ride-hailing across Southeast Asia
Step 1: After making a booking, the GrabChat icon will appear on screen. Step 2: Click the […]