GrabHitch is unlike any other ride hailing service out there.
GrabHitch is not an on-demand, commercial ride hailing service. GrabHitch is a social ride-sharing initiative launched by Grab to match journeys between private car drivers and commuters heading the same way at the same time. Drivers choose to share their rides with passengers and get paid a basic fare that covers their petrol costs, while passengers enjoy a socially interactive ride that is 20-40% cheaper than alternative private transport options.
GrabHitch is 100% powered by people, not for profit, but for a green car-lite Singapore.
Try GrabHitch for only $2 as a passenger for 4 x Fridays on
12 Aug / 19 Aug / 26 Aug / 2 Sept using promo code HITCHFRIENDS*
Passenger? Here are some things you should know.
Book at least 1 Hour in advance
Or better yet, book the night before for a commute tomorrow. Drivers need time to create their own routes and creating yours early ensures maximum exposure to the drivers planning routes in your area. If your time is flexible, you could also write a message in ‘Notes to Driver’, such as: “Can leave X min before/after pickup time”.
Text your driver after your route is accepted
Say Hi to your new Hitch buddy via text message and confirm the journey details such as your exact pick up point, landmarks near your area and timing you plan to leave.
Tell your driver if you have additional passengers with you
Select the 3 dots in the booking screen (just beside ‘Notes to Driver’) to specify the number of passengers you have with you BEFORE you make your booking to make it clear to drivers up front.
Treat the car as you would your own
Your Hitch driver is using his personal car on his regular commute, so treat the car like you would that of a friend. Ask for permission if you would like to eat, drink, or adjust his air-conditioning before actually doing so.
Take the front seat, be social and thank the driver
Wave to your driver when the car arrives and sit in front. Your driver is not a commercial driver doing this for profit and he could have as many things to talk about as you do, so be nice and chit-chat away! Oh and don’t forget to thank him or her for giving you a tompang too!
- Use and abuse the ‘Notes to Driver’ function. Besides writing notes like- “can leave X min before/after pickup time” with regards to timing, you could also do a shout-out to fellow Pokemon Go players with a note: “Level 25 Pokemon trainer” – the possibilities are endless!
- Ensure that your Facebook name is your real name, or at least a normal nickname. Do you think a driver will select a passenger called “Angry Darklord”, “Boom Boom Pow” or “ABCDEFZ”? The answer is always no.
- Change your Facebook profile photo to one in which you’re smiling. Happy-looking people tend to get rides!
- The more you guys chat the faster the journey will feel. You could talk about our Weather / Our Education System / Schooling’s Olympic Gold / Public Transport / Good Makan places / Your Job- be creative!
Do you want to sign up as a GrabHitch Driver?
- After you confirm a passenger booking, drop him or her a friendly text to confirm the ride details such as their exact pick up point and timing that you will be arriving.
- If you’re going to have additional friends or family in the car, inform your passenger in advance so that there are no surprises!
- If you’re driving alone, keep your front seat empty and wave to your passenger as they walk towards your car.
- Ask questions and share your experiences! Everyone has a story and you could very well learn something from your passenger.
Know a friend who could drive on GrabHitch?
Give them this referral code – hitchbuddy – to sign up with and they will receive $20 in their Grab wallet if they complete TWO rides as a driver on 1st September!
*$2 Passenger Friday Promo – Terms and conditions:
- Valid for credit/debit card (GrabPay) payments only.
- $2 rides are available for the entire day.
- Promo limited to 2 rides per person every Friday.
- Promotion runs for 4 Fridays from 12th August to 2nd Sept