Towards a better peak hour driving experience
We’re making improvements to help you earn more during peak hours
Driving during rush hour can be frustrating, especially in busy areas. Traffic make pick-up and journey times longer. Passengers cancel more often. Even with higher peak fares collected, driver-partners might still end up with lower earnings.
Effective 12PM (noon), 3 December 2018
To help you earn even more in peak hours, Grab will be rolling out TWO key changes in Johor Bahru. These changes will also apply during other hours for better rides overall.
Click the tabs below to find out more.
We will be rolling out a new incentive, Time Boosters, to all driver-partners in Johor Bahru. This will replace current Far Pick-up Bonus per KM, Hourly Guarantee (HG) and Flexi incentives.
1. Fairer form of compensation for your driving effort and time
Current HG incentives do not compensate all driver-partners fairly for their driving effort and time. At an Hourly Guarantee of RM32, for example, a driver-partner who earns RM25 in fares (20KM trip) and a driver-partner who earns RM5 in fares (2KM trip) will both get RM32. With Time Boosters, peak hour driver-partners whose earnings are more affected by traffic and far pickups will receive higher bonuses.
2. Instant payout to cash wallet
No more waiting till the end of the day or week to get paid! You will see Time Boosters for each booking, when applicable, on your job card and in-transit screen. The payouts will be made instantly as soon as the ride is completed, along with your fares.
HOW IT WORKS
Time Boosters ensures that you earn a minimum nett earning per driving minute (estimated pick-up minutes + estimated trip minutes) for every completed ride.
Each hour has a Time Booster level – for example RM0.50 per minute. If our system estimates your trip to take longer due to traffic and as a result, your earning per driving minute falls below the Time Booster level, you will receive a bonus to boost your nett earning up to RM0.50 per minute. The minimum earning per minute level is highest in peak hours.
The following diagram shows examples of how this incentive works:
In the past, driver-partners earn RM16 nett fares regardless of total driving time
With Time Boosters, driver-partners will receive a bonus to boost nett earnings up to the guaranteed RM0.50 per minute
In cases of far pick-ups, driver-partners will receive an even higher bonus to compensate for the longer driving time required. For more information on how to calculate payouts, please refer to FAQ #2.
HOW IT’S SHOWN
Please refer to the job card or in-transit screen for the final payout of each ride. The amount shown is calculated upfront based on system estimated pickup and trip time and is not subject to change during or after the trip. For more information on how to see your Time Booster amounts please refer to FAQ #3.
Time Booster levels will differ by time of day and service type. Please check your in-app notification every Sunday for the schedule of the following week.
Next week’s levels for GrabCar and JustGrab in Johor Bahru are as follows:
Update: Starting 31 July 2019, all jobs will be auto-accepted. Therefore, all driver-partners will be eligible for Time Booster.
*To ensure that drive-partners are well compensated during the peak periods, only incentive amounts equal to or above RM1 will be paid out for each eligible ride.
The Time Booster offers for GrabCar Plus and 6-Seater are higher than GC/JG – for next week’s offers for these service type please refer to FAQ #9.
- The payout shown in job card or in-transit screen is final and not subject to adjustments due to traffic conditions.
- This feature is not applicable for advanced bookings.
- This feature is only applicable for GrabCar, GrabCar (6-Seater), JustGrab GrabCar, GrabCar Plus.
We understand that it is frustrating for driver-partners when a passenger doesn’t show up or cancels at the last minute. We have been working on your feedback, and are committed to protect you from this negative experience.
HOW IT WORKS
You will receive compensation when our system has detected that you are on the way to or have arrived at the pick-up location and any of the following scenarios happens:
- “Passenger No Show” when you arrive at pick-up point (after the applicable waiting time) OR
- Late cancellation by passenger (more than 5 minutes from time of booking)
The compensation amounts are as follows and will be paid out to your cash wallet after every cancelled booking. Please do not collect from passengers.
- This feature is not applicable for advanced bookings.
- Back-to-back jobs are not eligible for late cancels compensation.
- This feature is applicable for ALL driver-partners.
- We will not compensate those who did not make any real effort to go to the pick-up location. We will also take strict action against attempts to unfairly exploit this compensation, so that we can continue to uphold this feature for the large majority of our driver-partner community who are genuine.
- For the same reason, cancellation compensation will be removed for any driver-partner who has been detected abusing the cancellation reasons (e.g. to avoid impact to CR), or making passengers cancel.
1. What are the incentives and compensations I will be eligible for starting 3 December?
HG, Flexi and new driver-partners will be automatically enrolled for all of the above. There will no longer be Hourly Guarantee and Flexi cashback incentives.
2. How is Time Booster calculated?
Time Booster Bonus = (guaranteed minimum earning per minute x total estimated minutes driven) – nett fare
Time Boosters will be calculated upfront based on system estimated driving time (pick- up minutes + trip minutes). Grab does not take commissions from Time Boosters.
3. Where will I see the Time Booster Bonus amount?
You will be able to see the amount of the Time Booster Bonus for each ride on its job card and in the in-transit screen (for AA rides).
In your Job History & Partner Statement, Time Booster Bonus amounts will appear as “Bonus”. It will be paid together with your fares into your cash wallet immediately after the job is completed.
4. The pick-up for my booking was far away. Why is the Time Booster Bonus low?
Time Booster Bonus is calculated based on system estimated trip time and the trip’s nett fare. The higher the trip’s fare per minute, the lower the Time Booster Bonus amount as you are already well compensated for the trip. If the fare per minute is higher than the booster amount, you won’t receive a booster payout.
The estimated trip time will be calculated upfront based on past traffic conditions. This might be different from your actual driving minute (based on Waze/ Google) because of unexpected traffic or a different proposed route from our system navigation.
While this is not perfect, we believe that it is a significant improvement from before. As we improve our navigation to take into account more real-time traffic, this will improve the accuracy of our Time Booster bonus.
5. Why I didn’t receive the Time Booster Bonus?
If you didn’t receive a booster payout for some of your bookings, it’s because those bookings were not eligible for it as those bookings’ fare per minute is higher than the booster amount.
However, do let us know if you qualified for the booster but did not receive it after checking your job history and the weekly Partner Statement.
Please write in via Help Centre, by clicking here.
6. Will the Time Booster Bonus and Cancellation Compensation still be applicable if I drive in another city using the Multi-city Support feature?
Yes, but the guaranteed minimum amount per minute and compensation amount will follow the city you’re driving in.
7. Why did I not receive the Cancellation Compensation when my passenger cancelled late?
If we detect that you did not make any effort to go to the pick-up location, you will not be compensated. However, do let us know if you are qualified for the compensation but did not receive compensation after checking your job history and the weekly Partner Statement.
Click here to write in via Help Centre.
8. What are the Time Booster offers for the other service types?