Grab’s commitment to a smoother transition through e-hailing regulations

The Ministry of Transport has announced that from 12 October 2019 onwards that driver-partners must have the following to comply with regulations:

What is a PSV licence?

A PSV licence — a type of vocational driving licence — allows the holder to drive any type of vehicle used to transport paying passengers. E-hailing driver-partners are now required to get a PSV licence.


How to get a PSV licence?

Step (1) – Pass the required medical check up based on JPJL8A standards

  1. Go to this link and download the “Borang Permohonan Lesen Vokasional JPJ l8a” form
  2. Go to any clinic or Grab Driver Centre (not Kiosk) and ask for a Medical Checkup for PSV Licence. Clinics should know the steps required for this – if not just present the JPJ L8A form. Check the following link ( to see if your city has a Grab Driver Centre.

Step (2) – Attend PSV training and take the PSV exam

  1. Go to any driving institute and bring your NRIC, Driver’s Licence and JPJ L8A form
  2. There, you will register for a 6-hour training course.
  3. You will have to pay upon registering. The cost amount will vary according to driving institutes – up to RM120 of this cost will be reimbursed by Grab. Check Terms and Conditions for Pakej Pikul Bersama” at the FAQ section below for more information on how to get reimbursed.
  4. Once done with the training course, you will then register for a 1-hour written exam.
  5. Once done with the training and exam, the driving institute will provide the following documents to be used in subsequent steps:
  • JPJL2C Certificate (Training Certificate)  
  • JPJL12 Certificate (PSV Exam Certificate)
  1. Please note that you have to clear your summons before your training.

Step (3) – Register for PSV licence at JPJ

  1. Go to any JPJ office and bring the following documents to register for a PSV licence:
  • Original or copy of MyKad
  • Original or copy of Driving Licence (CDL)
  • JPJL8A Form (Registration and Medical Form)
  • JPJL2C Certificate (Training Certificate)  
  • JPJL12 Certificate (PSV Exam Certificate)
  • 1 x colour photo (against a white background) with dimensions of 25 mm x 32 mm
  1. Collect your official PSV licence at the JPJ office branch you registered at. The collection date will vary from branch to branch.
  2. Some driving institutes will handle this entire process for you, so please inquire while you are going through Step (2).  

Step (4) – Submit your PSV Licence to Grab

  1. Submit your PSV licence from Step (2) for reimbursement in the following forms:
  2. NEW driver-partners – (
  3. EXISTING Peninsular driver-partners – (
  4. EXISTING Sarawak driver-partners – (
  5. EXISTING Sabah driver-partners – (

[Important note] Borneo driver-partners ONLY: If your vehicle age is more than 3 years, you need to go through PUSPAKOM inspection before getting your EVP)

What is an e-hailing Vehicle Permit (EVP)?

After securing a PSV licence, the next step is to attain an EVP. An EVP is a permit to operate as an e-hailing vehicle.

How to get an EVP?

Step (1) – Submit your vehicle details to Grab

  1. Firstly ensure that you have the vehicle details:
    • a picture of your car grant,
    • car owner’s name,
    • chassis number,
    • vehicle type,
    • seat capacity
  1. Submit your vehicle details in the following forms:
  1. After submission, Grab will apply for an EVP on your behalf. (worth RM110)
  2. Once the EVP is granted and you have attained your e-Hailing Insurance, you will receive a notification from Grab that your account has been activated. You can view your EVP number in your driver profile.
    • If you are a driver-partner from Peninsular Malaysia, you can also view a digital copy of your EVP in the ‘eVP’ section.

Image: EVP number in driver app. For driver-partners in Peninsular Malaysia, you can tap on ‘eVP’ section to view your digital copy of EVP.

  1. Once it has been activated, you will need to collect your e-Hailing stickers (2 per person) at the nearest kiosk or GDC in your city. The stickers need to be displayed on the front and rear windscreen.


Image: E-hailing sticker

What is e-hailing insurance?

E-hailing insurance is another requirement from the Ministry of Transport. This is separate from your private motor insurance, and provides coverage for e-hailing jobs.

This covers loss or damage to your vehicle, liability to passengers and third-party, as well as personal accident coverage while you are operating as an e-hailing driver-partner.

How to get the e-hailing add-on?

  1. You have two options:
    • Option 1: Opt-in to Grab Daily Insurance (GDI) so you only pay when you come online. More information can be found here.
    • Option 2: Purchase the annual e-hailing add-on with your current insurer.
  1. If your current insurer does not provide either Option 1 or 2, you will need to switch to an  insurer who does in order to get e-hailing insurance.
  2. After securing your e-hailing insurance, the PSV and EVP licence and the other requirements, please submit your application in the sign-up page.
  3. Please look out for a message via e-mail or SMS confirming that your account has been activated.

Once your account has been activated, you may have to undergo PUSPAKOM Vehicle Inspection.

Only vehicles 3 years old and above have to undergo a PUSPAKOM inspection.

If your vehicle is below 3 years old you do not have to undergo a PUSPAKOM check and can start driving until your car reaches the 3 year mark.

What is a PUSPAKOM check?

It is a check conducted by PUSPAKOM to certify that your vehicle is fit to operate as an e-Hailing vehicle. This is a requirement from the Ministry of Transport to become an e-hailing driver if your vehicle is 3 years old and above.

How do I complete the PUSPAKOM check?

a) You will first need to secure the following:

  • E-hailing Vehicle Permit
  • Original Car Registration Card
  • Original Vehicle Ownership Certificate
  • 1kg Fire Extinguisher – either Carbon Dioxide (CO2) or dry chemical powder. You should be able to find this at your local hardware stores.
  • Warning triangle 16’ x 2’ (405 mm x 51 mm)

b) After that schedule an appointment with your local PUSPAKOM center here: 

  • When registering, pick ‘Individual’ for Account type
  • When creating your appointment, pick ‘Persendirian e-hailing’ for the Usage Class and ‘Berkala Pertama e-Hailing’ for Inspection Type

c) After you have completed the inspection, you will receive a document and disc certifying that your vehicle is fit for e-Hailing.

After you’ve completed all the necessary steps to become an e-Hailing driver-partner, here are the things to keep in mind to ensure you are compliant with the Ministry of Transport’s regulations:

Make sure you do the following while driving:

  1. Have the e-Hailing sticker displayed on the front and rear windscreen of your vehicle
  2. Have your PSV Licence
  3. Have your PUSPAKOM certification disc on the front windscreen of your vehicle (for vehicles 3 years old and above)
  4. Know where to find your EVP number.

*For Sarawak, you will need a printed copy of your EVP. You can visit the Grab Driver Centre to have it printed. If your city does not have a Grab Driver Centre, you will receive an email or in app message with further instructions. 


What is Pakej Pikul Bersama and the terms and conditions to get reimbursements?

Pakej Pikul Bersama is an initiative by Grab to help driver-partners get through the regulations process when it was first announced by the Ministry of Transport in 2019.

As of today (January 2020), these are the available one-off reimbursements being offered to driver-partners by Grab:

  • Up to RM120 for PSV licence (training + exam)
  • RM70 for the initial PUSPAKOM vehicle inspection

You need to submit the relevant documents and receipts to get reimbursed.

Reimbursements will be made into your cash wallet upon document verification*.

*Document verification can take up to 10 working days from the date of submission.

Do I need to obtain a new road tax/Lesen Kenderaan Motor (LKM)?

No, you do not need to renew your road tax.

If I get stopped for picking up passengers, how do I identify as an e-hailing driver-partner?

Peninsular & Sabah: Please show authorities your EVP number which can be found in your Driver Profile section in the driver app.

Sarawak: Please show authorities your printed EVP.

Am I allowed to have any on-car advertisements?

Car wraps and on-car advertisements are allowed for registered and approved e-hailing vehicles until further notice from JPJ.

How much does it cost?

For Grab Daily Insurance please refer to Section 3 in the following link (here)

If you get the annual e-hailing add-on, speak to your insurer about their annual rates.  

Can I drive if I just have private motor insurance?

No, you cannot. The Ministry of Transport has made it compulsory that all vehicles used for e-hailing must have an e-hailing add-on. Therefore, driver-partners MUST purchase the additional e-hailing add-on, on top of the existing motor insurance to continue driving with Grab after 12 July 2019.

What cars are eligible to drive for Grab after the new e-hailing regulation?

All cars that are used for e-hailing will need to have a minimum three-star ASEAN NCAP rating or its equivalent AND needs to be less than 9 years old. However, pick up trucks will not be allowed as e-hailing vehicles except in Sabah & Sarawak.

Are hatchback cars eligible?

As long as the car has a minimum of three-star ASEAN NCAP rating, it will be eligible (refer above).

Does every car need to go through the PUSPAKOM car inspection?

No, only cars that are over 3 years need to go through PUSPAKOM inspection.

How much does the car inspection cost?

There is a fee of RM70 for initial car inspection. Every subsequent annual inspection will cost RM55.

Where do I go to get my cars inspected?

Head to a PUSPAKOM centre nearest to you. Find one here.

How long will the car inspection take?

After registration, inspection takes about an hour.

(Reference here)

What exactly will PUSPAKOM check?

For cars that are over three years, PUSPAKOM will carry out the following checks:

  1. Vehicle identification check
  2. External and internal vehicle
  3. Undercarriage inspection
  4. Tinted glass inspection

Kindly refer here for the full detailed list of checks.

What equipment do I need to have in my vehicle?

  1. Fire extinguisher (1kg)
  2. Emergency kit (for 7-seater vehicles)
  3. Warning triangle

*Only for cars more than 3 years old. Find a PUSPAKOM centre near you, here.

Guide to making an appointment: here.

E-hailing inspection guidelines: here.

Vehicle inspection standards: here.